Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Infolinks In Text Ads

gumgum

Tweet, Share & Like

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Mississippi State Center Agreed Deal with Chicago Bears

The former Mississippi State center agreed to a deal with the Chicago Bears. The Bay St. Louis native is expected to sign with the Bears in the morning. J.C.Brignone is the first undrafted player from MSU to be picked up by a team after the NFL owners and players agreed Monday to a new collective bargaining agreement, which ended a 4 1/2 month lockout that put the 2011 season in jeopardy.

Brignone believed a one-on-one workout with Bears offensive line coach Mike Tice in the spring helped raise his stock in the free agent market. “I think they really liked how I did things and how I operated within myself,” Brignone said.

The first step for Brignone is earning a roster spot in training camp and during the preseason schedule of games. The knock against Brignone (6-1, 304 pounds) is his height, but the Bears like his style and work ethic. MSU coach Dan Mullen said in April that he wouldn’t be surprised if Brignone was picked up early in free agency and was later added to the roster because of his ability to overcome his perceived physical faults.

“They’re giving me a chance,” Brignone said late Monday night. “People always talk about money but I just want to play football. I’m not a first round guy or a seventh round guy. I just want to play. To make a career of it and to play 15 years like Olin Kreutz would be amazing. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to play and start as a rookie but I know my place is to learn and play my game behind some great players.”

Kreutz is a 15-year veteran and the Bears’ top priority this week is re-signing the starter, according to The Chicago Tribune. Brignone is expected to battle against at least two other centers for a roster spot in August.

Brignone said he loved the “old school and new school” atmosphere of the Bears, and the first thought that popped in his head upon hearing the Bears’ interest was former teammate Derek Sherrod. Sherrod, a left tackle, was picked up in the first round of the NFL Draft by rival Green Bay.

Brignone, packing his luggage late Monday night to catch an early-morning flight, had already circled the Bears’ trip to Lambeau Field on Christmas Day. “It’s kind of funny I end up at Chicago and Derek ends up at Green Bay,” Brignone said.